Monday, March 30, 2015

Movie Monday 3/30 - the TV Edition

We didn't watch any movies this past week (nor the week before, since we were away for the weekend for my grandmother's funeral), so I thought I'd do a TV edition of Movie Monday.

Some people think we watch a lot of TV at our house, but as most of you probably understand all too well, it's a nice activity to enjoy with family members when you are too wiped out to do anything else! I pretty much hit the wall by 7 pm each evening, so my husband and I enjoy watching a couple of our favorite TV shows together, before we go up to bed at 9:30 to read. In addition, I usually watch something by myself at lunchtime - it's a nice way to wind down before my nap and give me a chance to watch something that the rest of my male-centric household won't watch with me! Finally, when my college son comes home on Sunday afternoons, he is usually completely worn out from the weekend, so he likes to catch up on some favorite shows with us. Here are some of our current favorites airing at this time of year:

My husband and I have a long list of shows that we enjoy watching together each evening. Some are old favorites, like Grey's Anatomy (my husband has pretty much had enough of it but I still love it and he still watches it with me) and The Good Wife (still as fabulous as ever!). We also enjoy The Blacklist, which just gets better and better, and Perception, a lesser-known series currently in its 3rd season about a schizophrenic neurology professor, played wonderfully by Eric McCormack, who helps the FBI solve cases.

Two of our current favorites are The Americans, about Russian spies living as a regular American family in the 1980's - an amazing show that is better every season! - and Madam Secretary, a new show starring Tea Leoni as the Secretary of State and Tim Daly as her husband, a renowned Religious Studies professor. It has its flaws - sometimes the problems are wrapped up a bit too easily - but Leoni and Daly are both excellent, as is the rest of the cast, and we are enjoying it. And, of course, Mad Men comes back for a final season this week!

On DVD, we have just finished watching the final episode of the final season of Treme, one of the best TV shows ever! It's set in New Orleans (where we used to live) after Hurricane Katrina. The music is just incredible, and the characters now feel like old friends - we were sad to say goodbye to them this weekend. If you've never seen this show, check it out.

It is rare that we can talk our 17-year old son into sitting and watching a TV show with us - he is usually running off to be with his friends or his girlfriend! Mostly, he likes sitcoms, and some of our favorites include Brooklyn 99, The Goldbergs (set in the 80's), Modern Family (best comedy EVER), and our latest discovery, Fresh Off the Boat. He will occasionally watch Bones with us, one of his old favorites. There is just one new drama that he will enthusiastically watch with us: How To Get Away With Murder. Wow, this is a unique, fast-paced legal thriller that will keep you glued to the screen. We all love it.

When our older son comes home on Sundays, he loves to catch up on The Following, The 100, Elementary, or NCIS - New Orleans with my husband and I. He and his Dad watch Vikings while I take my nap - they love it!

Finally, I look forward each day to relaxing over lunch with something the rest of the family won't watch with me! Two of my favorites were Parenthood and Glee, which both recently ended - forever! Like Glee, we all used to watch The Amazing Race together as a family, but everyone else lost interest, so I am watching that on my own now, too - I still enjoy it! Sometimes, I watch The Mysteries of Laura, which is fun, and I've been working my way through season 1 of The Gilmore Girls lately. If I am rushed for time, I like About a Boy or Moms and am enjoying the brand-new sitcom Younger.

How about you? What are your favorite TV shows? I am especially interested in any recommendations for me to watch on my own, now that Parenthood and Glee are both gone. Any girly-type stuff you especially like? I did enjoy the first episode of Outlander, but that was the only free one. We watch TV On Demand or on Amazon Prime or get DVDs from the library. Any recommendations? What are your favorites?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, we share quite a few interests CSI, Modern Family, Elementary, Grey's Anatomy, Madam Secretary, and Perception. I am so upset that they cancelled Perception! I loved how they related the brain and its function to the story! I tend to fall in love with shows they cancel!

Echo aka The Mad Mommy said...

Oh my, we really don't watch a lot of TV and other than Gilmore Girls, I haven't seen any of those shows! I am so behind, LOL! Thank you for sharing at the #SmallVictoriesSundayLinkup!

Sue Jackson said...

What??? They cancelled Perception? Oh, no! It is such a great show! So, is that it forever or are there more episodes filmed that haven't aired yet? What a shame!

Yes, you are right - they always cancel great shows!