Saturday, December 20, 2014

Weekly Inspiration: Slow Down!

Did you know there's a whole Slow Movement going on? People advocating Slow Food, Slow Schools, and just generally slowing down your life. As technology continues to speed up our lives, this idea is becoming less fringe and more mainstream.

Those of us with ME/CFS were way ahead of the trend! Our lives are all about slowing down. Interestingly, I actually left my travel-heavy career two years before getting sick, in an effort to slow down our lives with two small children. Ironic, right? About the time I was considering going back to work part-time to bring in some income, ME/CFS came along and slowed me down for good.

But if you're like me, our fast-paced modern world still sneaks into my life (especially my online life), and I still battle some bad habits from my pre-illness days. In fact, while listening to this TED talk about slowing down to enjoy life more, I realized I was seriously multi-tasking, eating breakfast while making a grocery list while watching a talk on slowing down! Yes, I see the irony.

I really enjoyed this short talk - the presenter makes some excellent points, and I loved the story about reading to his son and their relationship. In this hectic holiday season, I think we can all use a reminder to set aside the electronics, slow down, and enjoy our families:



Hope you are enjoying the holiday season with your family!

How do you slow down and make time for family?

No comments: