Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Post-Mother's Day Crashette

This is my new favorite word: crashette. A friend and I were e-mailing about lunch plans for tomorrow, and I warned her I wasn't feeling well today so would have to see how I'm doing tomorrow (she is very used to my not being able to plan ahead and is very patient!). She replied that she hoped this was just a "crashette" and not a full-blown crash. Isn't that great? Love it. And, yes, this is an amazing friend who is very understanding and kind.

So, I apparently did too much this weekend, but I am hoping the crash doesn't last too long. For Mother's Day, we visited my mom in Connecticut, along with my sister and her family. On Sunday, my mom and her husband had planned a big scavenger hunt at a local beach park for all 10 of us. In past years, I haven't been able to walk around for this type of thing, but - thanks to beta blockers and my heart rate monitor - I managed pretty well this year. I was teamed up with my mom's husband, my sister, and my fabulous 11-year old niece, and we had a lot of fun. I have been working on increasing my stamina and can now handle up to a 40-minute walk on a good day (staying within my heart rate limitations) without crashing the next day. But, by the time we got back in the cars, my heart rate monitor showed we'd been walking around for 1 hour and 30 minutes! Definitely beyond my limits.

As is often the case, I was OK yesterday, but the effects hit me last night, and I woke up today feeling crummy. I have learned, though, after 11 years, to give in and take care of myself when I crash now. I am not a quick learner, but I am finally trained in this respect!  So, today was a Plan B day, and I not only rested physically but gave in to a restful mindset right from the start of my day. I am hoping to feel well enough tomorrow to manage that lunch with my two close friends (and a meeting in the morning with my lawyer to close out my disability case with him).

I am not the only one still trying to recover from the weekend. In addition to the scavenger hunt, my sons were both up until 11 pm both Friday and Saturday night and were exhausted by the time we got home on Sunday evening. Amazingly, my 18-year old is doing fine now and hasn't missed any classes in college, but my 15-year old is still wiped out and also suffering from exacerbated allergy symptoms. he made it to school yesterday and today but took a nap as soon as he got home (he's in bed now).

So, we are resting and waiting and hoping these are just crashettes for us both. It was worth it to spend time with my family and especially with my niece and nephew!

My family after our scavenger hunt on Mother's Day

1 comment:

upnorth said...

How great to be able to enjoy life as much as you do. I hope you are right and it's only a crashette....love the lingo.