Saturday, September 25, 2010

Quote It Saturday 9/25

Well, rumors of my recovery on Thursday were somewhat premature.  I'm out of bed more now but am still really exhausted and weak.  I watched Jamie's soccer game this morning and felt like I was the one who had run for 90 minutes, instead of sitting on the bleachers watching.  Even worse than the physical exhaustion is the apathy.  I just don't care about anything - that my family's been eating take-out all week, that the house is a mess, that the laundry is piling up.  All I want to do is lie in my comfy bed with my book.

I shouldn't be sounding so whiny and down.  I am making progress each day - it's just very slow progress.  And the antibiotics have definitely helped my chest congestion, though I still sleep half-sitting up, propped with extra pillows (I'm kind of getting used to it).

On the plus side, I have been reading non-stop for the past 8 days and enjoying lots of good books.  I thought I'd share a quote today from The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx, a quirky novel set in Newfoundland that won both the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award.  One of my book groups will be discussing it this week.  The main characters struggle with some terrible tragedies but keep moving forward (a good lesson for me this week):

We face up to awful things because we can't go around them, or forget them.  The sooner you get it over with, the sooner you say, "Yes, it happened and there's nothing I can do about it," the sooner you get on with your own life.  You've got children to bring up.  So, you've got to get over it.  What we have to get over, somehow we do.  Even the worst things.


          - The Shipping News, E. Annie Proulx

So, I'm trying to rest as much as I can and get over it.  Hope you're enjoying a restful weekend.

4 comments:

Renee said...

So sorry to hear you are still feeling so poorly. Sometimes the best way to move forward is to stay still. Wishing you a steady recovery.

Sue Jackson said...

How profound, Renee! I know you're right. I'm just getting impatient - which is silly because I know there are many people - yourself included - who have been waiting to feel better for much longer. Patience has never been my strong suit. I'm taking your advice and taking it slow.

Sue

Dusty Bogwrangler said...

Reminds me of something someone said to me years ago which has helped me get over many a glitch: The only way through it is through it.

Go easy on yourself. Your temporary recovery was probably a 'dead cat bounce'. I have those too! But you will get better. Let someone else deal with the laundry :-)

Toni said...

I love Renee's comment: sometimes the best way to move forward is to stay still. I'm very sick myself and will try to live my Renee's words today!

Rest up and feel better soon. You always get over these crashes even though I imagine that fear arises (it has for me the last few days): "Is this the new normal?" The good news for you is that these downturns never have been You always bounce back!

Rest up!