Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Back to School

My two boys returned to school on Monday. This is both good and bad for me. Of course, I enjoy their company, and we did a lot of fun things this summer. And after only three days, the early mornings are already killing me! Soon, our evenings will be filled with soccer practice and hours of homework. I do enjoy those relaxed summer evenings.

On the other hand, I am enjoying my very quiet house! I really didn't do much writing at all this summer, so I'm looking forward to getting back to my working routines. So far this week, it's mostly just clearing off my desk, going through my e-mail, and trying to sort through the stacks of back-to-school paperwork.

I've been feeling very good this past week. I was even able to enjoy a day hiking at a local creek with my friend and our kids on Friday. It's so hard to figure out why I'm feeling good, though. As I mentioned last week, a mix-up with my insurance company forced me to cut back to just one Valtrex per day temporarily. Is that why I'm feeling good? If so, what's going to happen when I go back to the full dose of two Valtrex per day? Do I need the higher dose to prevent drug resistant viruses? Or maybe the timing is just coincidental, and I've reached the end of my "herx" reaction (a temporary worsening) and can expect to keep improving?

There's another option, too. About 3 weeks ago, I started Naltrexone, a medication that's supposed to boost my Natural Killer (NK) cell function. Maybe that's starting to work.

So many questions and so few answers! All of this is so new to everyone, including the doctors. I guess I just need to wait and see. Hopefully, my higher stamina will continue.

No comments: